HERSCHEDE CHIMING CLOCKS
A Brief History and Timeline of the Herschede Clock Company
-1857 Frank Herschede born July 30 Cincinnati, OH
-1872 Apprenticed as a clock repairman as a teen
-1877 Went into business for himself- jewelry, watches, diamonds, etc.
-1885 Started importing clock movements and had cases made at a local cabinet shop in Cincinnati
-1900 Bought out the cabinet shop as business expanded
-1901 Won his first medal in an Exposition in SC - one of several he won
-1902 Son Walter graduated from high school and went to work in the cabinet shop
-1903 Incorporated as the Herschede Hall Clock Company at the end of 1902 and moved into larger building
-1904 Won several medals at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St Louis
-1909 Started making clock movements in the building next to the cabinet shop
-1911 First movement manufactured and put in production
-1913 A third melody was added to the Westminster and Whittington chimes - the Canterbury Chimes. Some accounts credit a Joseph Eisen (an American pianist) as developing the melody for Herschede, other credit a Herschede employee.
-Early 1920s Branch offices were established in NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco
-1922 Frank dies and son Walter named president in early 1923
-1925 Walter starts working with Henry Warren of the Telechron Clock Company on developing electric movements
-1926 Introduces an Electrically Wound movement with a pendulum and spring. Lasts only a few years as the Revere all electric run clocks gain popularity
-1926 Revere Clock Company comes into existence to sell electric chiming clocks
-1927 Introduces a line of smaller clocks - a Grandmother and a Petite
-1929 Employs just over 300 employees, but the Great Depression reduces demand for their clocks
-1933 Changes it's focus and introduces an inexpensive line of electric clocks - Crown Clocks
-1934 Walter's son Dick Herschede starts work with the company
-During WWII Stops making clocks and manufactures instruments and opticals for the Military
-After WWII Starts producing parking meters
-1952 Starts using imported Junghaus movements in its non-tubular bell clocks
-1960 Plant moves to Mississippi
-1973 Mergers with Howard Furniture and Brianwood Lamps to become Arnold Industries, Inc.
-1983 Herschede Hall Clock division restructures from a manufacturer of finished clocks to a supplier of quality tubular bell movements
-1984 Last three clocks manufactured
-1989-1992 Briefly resumes clockmaking producing about 20 clocks under the ownership of Howard W. Klein and Robert Eggering of St. Louis, MO. The firm was then sold to R&M Imports of Waynesville, OH, which manufacturers replacement parts for existing Herschede clocks.